Getting a Senior Race License

Sadly, you can’t simply buy a Formula Ford and enter a race. You’ll need to follow the steps below to become a qualified race driver with a senior race license from our motorsport sanctioning body, the Confederation of Autosport Car Clubs (CACC).

1. Complete a Race Driver Training Course

Competing in CACC-sanctioned club racing in the province of BC will mean you’ll need to get a CACC Competition License with a Road Racing endorsement. To apply for a CACC license, you’ll need to successfully complete a recognized Race Driver Training Program like the one the Sports Car Club of BC (SCCBC) puts on twice annually (usually March and July) at Mission Raceway Park. This 3-day course provides one day in a virtual classroom environment followed by two full days of on-track instruction. Check out the Driver Training link on the SCCBC web site for more information.

The CACC also recognizes race driver training courses from other provincial organizations such as the Victoria Motor Sports Club and Speed-Fanatics Motorsport Club as well as nationally recognized driving schools like the Bob Bondurant and Skip Barber programs.

Note that there are alternate streams of obtaining a racing license if you have previous race or karting experience. Contact the CACC License Administrator for more details.

2. Become a Member of a CACC-Affiliated Club

Upon successful completion of your Race Driver Training course you’ll need to join a club which is affiliated with a race licensing body before you can apply for a race license. If you’ve taken the SCCBC course, you will have been provided a free first year’s membership in the club as part of your course fee. There are many other eligible clubs that are affiliated with the CACC and can be found on the Affilates page of the CACC website. Who knows, you may already be a member of one!

3. Apply for a Novice Race License

At Mission Raceway the Sports Car Club of BC hosts events sanctioned by the Confederation of Autosport Car Clubs (CACC) and the International Conference of Sports Car Clubs (ICSCC), both of which have a comprehensive novice race program. Note that all Canadian residents must hold a CACC Race License to compete in CACC-sanctioned events.

Licensing requirements are very similar with both sanctioning bodies. A medical examination by a physician is required in order to qualify for a racing license. You’ll also need to complete a medical self-declaration and sign a release waiver.

Note that it is not necessary to hold race licenses from both sanctioning bodies to compete in events at River’s Edge Road Course since each organization recognizes the other’s race license. If it is your intention to collect points toward the year-end championship in either the CACC or ICSCC, you must have their respective race license. Most racers at Mission Raceway hold just a CACC Competition License but still compete in the annual ICSCC event held at Mission Raceway Park.

4. Complete the Novice Race Program

Once you have your CACC Novice Race License, you’ll be able to enter CACC-sanctioned events at Mission Raceway Park. You can refer to the CACC Motorsport Calendar for a schedule of road racing events. Successfully completing a minimum of three novice races will entitle you to apply for a CACC Senior Race License using the application on the CACC website Forms page.

Voila. And Bob’s Your Uncle.